Holiday Stupidity

I’d like to acknowledge just a small sampling of thinking, non-stupers (short for persons who actually exercise thought prior to speaking or acting) that I come across over the course of a day lest you think I only tango with the inane:

1. I just love my hairdresser, Brad. My hair had gotten a bit longer than usual, just past shoulder length when I saw him today. His first words to me: “You look like a nineteen year-old!” If you’ve read my “about” page, you know I passed nineteen a few years ago. Brad’s second words to me: “And look how slim you’ve gotten!” Need I say more?
  2. I had to develop my digital photo disk at the local drug store. I’d never done so as it is my older son’s job, so I felt a bit grumpy about doing it myself (though I am usually exceptionally good-natured). I waited for the customer in front of me to finish – she must have developed over 7000 prints – and at long last, it was my turn. While I examined the directions for operating the machine, a store employee materialized next to me. “I’m here to help you,” she said, softly. I had just been thinking I wish I had help (Why couldn’t I have wished to win the lottery instead?). I very much appreciated her thoughtful aid.
  3. At the local deli today, the crowd seemed a little unruly. One of the workers behind the counter yelled, “Who’s next?” When no one stepped forward, yours truly raised her hand. The worker came to my assistance when I suddenly noticed that the other customers had taken numbers and were waiting their turns. “I didn’t take a number,” I informed the man helping me. A gentleman (and I use this term in the strictest possible sense) stepped forward from the crowd and said, “You can have mine. I’ll just wait.” What unselfish thought! What chivalry!

Such examples are plentiful. I could easily carry on, but it’s not acts of kindness we need help in managing; it’s the stupid among us.

Several times today, I heard people making excuses for rude, thoughtless behavior by saying, “It’s just that time of year.” I disagree. I think stupidity is stupidity all year long, anytime, anyplace. It’s just more noticeable when the rest of us are rushing about, harried and anxious.

The grocery store was crowded, and I myself was guilty of dashing to and fro, somersaulting from aisle to aisle (that maneuver may explain my current lower back ache), leaping over freestanding, waist-high, cardboard ads in order to gather items I needed so I could hurry up and get the hell out of there. As I strolled over to the cashier, I noticed Woman #1 walk in front of a shopping cart pushed by Woman #2. #2 looked like an overinflated balloon, ready to burst any moment.

As #2 braked to a halt, #1 said very nicely,

“Excuse me,”

“Forget it. I saw you zig zagging all over the place,” #2 said loud and clear. Then as an afterthought (I mean an additional piece of nonsense) she added, “It’s just that time of year.”

Stupers readily make idiotic (as opposed to intelligent) excuses for their own ridiculous behavior. They’ve yet to learn that it’s easier to be kind and much less wearing than acting stupidly.

Thinking brings satisfaction to all.

Keli@Counterfeithumans.com

11 Responses to “Holiday Stupidity”

1. Julianne says:

Thanks for the refreshing bit of holiday cheer.

As for the stupers: I’ve got to brave the grocery store tomorrow to get some last minute groceries. I plan to keep a low profile and avoid any potential contact with the likes of woman #2.

2. footiam says:

Hey, yours is a beautiful world!

3. Mary says:

Boy, am I glad to hear someone else has had similiar Holidy experiences lately. After a while, I start thinking that I must be doing something to attract stupors. Today a man shooed me away – actually shooed me back without saying a word as he wanted to back out of line. I think they invented “excuse me” for that type of backtracking. All I could think of to say was, “Boy, that’s rude.” (My mouth was hanging open too!)

It is that time of the year, so Happy Christmas, Keli – I hope you and your loved ones have a fantastic time with lots of fun, happiness and peace…if only, eh?

Julianne:
    May your holiday shopping (and mine since I have to go out once more today too) be stuper-free!
    Footiam:
    Thank you!
    Mary:
    I’m sure you are not attracting the stupers. They’re just out in full force these days. Very rude!
    Agnes:
    Thank you! May I wish the same, and more, to you and your loved ones too!

6. Paulyn says:

Merry Christmas, Keli! Hope you have a great Christmas!

7. The stupers were out in full force at the grocery store on Monday. I went with my 65-year-old mother, and it seemed like one lady in particular was following us (or at least me) around the store, which is quite the feat, because my mother has a very erratic shopping pattern. She either refuses to read store signs or just doesn’t pay attention when the things on her list show up in an aisle.

The woman in question was barreling around the store, and whenever my mother and I stopped to actually pick an item off a shelf, she’d stand behind us for about 2 1/2 seconds then say “Can you please move?” (At least she got the please in there.) Then, I left my mother behind and started to look at popcorn to see if my favorite flavor came in big bags instead of single servings, and the lady was back with her big swervy cart and in the same inpatient voice asked me to move. So, I pressed myself against the popcorn shelf and headed back to my mother without popcorn; it just wasn’t worth getting hurt for.

On a bright note, my friend Josh is always a gentleman. I usually carpool to a game I play every week, and a few weeks ago, my ride decided she wanted to drink the free beer a local pizzaria offers. So, Josh offered to give me a ride home. He also always calls me if I text message him, and whenever I’ve invited him places and he couldn’t go, he’s called to apologize and let me know he couldn’t. It doesn’t seem like much, but it’s almost unheard of in today’s generation of 20-somethings.

Paulyn:
    Thank you very much! Merry Christmas to you too!
    Wendy:
    Quite clearly you were be followed by a stuper who somehow viewed you as the leader of her pack. She probably meant to get by you, but was unable to figure out how, poor meager mind that she was. Thanks for sharing your bright note. Josh does sound like a rarity – a young gentleman!

9. I had not been out in the world for several days, until yesterday. Oh how I wish I would have run into more of your kindhearted non-stupid people. Oh well, I am home safe and sound again.

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and will have a great 2008.

10. he gave you his number? what are the chances of that happening again? what a nice guy!!! happy new year…almost!

New Diva:
    Glad to hear you’re safe from stupers…for now. Happy New Year to you too!
    Flowers:
    Nice to see you again! Happy New Year to you too!