Stupidity Assumes Stupidity or Stupid is as Stupid Does

I’ve been away from the computer these past few days cavorting in Southern California while chaperoning three young gentlemen junior golfers, one of which was my own, to the Los Angeles City Junior Open. Ever on the lookout for instances of everyday stupidity, I came across a veritable potpourri; a few tidbits will be shared here today with my dear readers.

I’m often asked if being a poor speller is a sign of the stuper (short again for an undisguisedly stupid person). The answer is no…unless one succeeds in committing permanent or semi-permanent spelling slips of a public nature; meaning the spelling mistakes sit comfortably for all to view with no attempt at correction.

Repeated, poor spelling is akin to going into an important job interview dressed like a farmer hot on the trail of wild hogs. Only the pitchfork is missing. It’s sloppy.

Even excellent spellers make mistakes when writing in haste or exhaustion or while under the spell of rapid onset amnesia (ROM). But should a person misspell, and advertise said error on a large sign, that is then planted securely into the ground, thanks to the wonders of quick drying cement, and strategically placed in front of members of the general public, then one is a definite stuper.

Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me this past weekend. But I spotted a huge sign designed by a stuper on the very first tee of an enormous public golf course. The sign advised players to maintain a rapid pace of play so as not to slow down golfers playing behind them. Leisurely golfers would be penalized. Then at the bottom of this sign was stated, in bold, large letters:

NO EXECEPTIONS

More examples of poor spelling for public scrutiny:

Perhaps the blunders above can be blamed on the lack of satellite spell check or dictionaries placed in nearby, convenient locations.

My second skirmish with stupidity occurred while I walked the course, watching my son play. Some golf parents, dads especially, assume the rest of the non-playing, civilized world knows little, to nothing, about the game of golf. After I told one such father that I didn’t play the game myself, he instantly assumed I was an ignoramus. He accompanied me on four holes, giving me all sorts of golf advice, and then said,

“Tiger Wood’s playing a tournament today, with…. O’Hearn or O’Hara…the name doesn’t matter because it’s no one you’ve heard of anyway.”

I gently told him it was in fact, Sean O’ Hair, one of my favorite, young players. The father gave me a blank look and abandoned me for the snack bar.

Stupers don’t ask, don’t research, don’t bother; they just assume. It’s your decision whether you wish to correct them or not. Sometimes, it’s not worth the effort. But if it give you a sense of satisfaction, then by all means, correct the fool.

Think.

Keli@Counterfeithumans.com

10 Responses to “Stupidity Assumes Stupidity or Stupid is as Stupid Does”

I went to a Chinese restaurant and their menu had many spelling errors on it. For example, instead of “Flank steak” they had “Frank steak”. At least their errors could be blamed on not knowing the language properly. But then again, they could have sought help. But stupers don’t seek help all that often do they?

The Male ego! Sometimes you wonder, why do they assume we don’t know anything? I was talking with a few people at a party; one of the men was talking about Llamas, (I was the only female there). He looked at me and said, “do you know what a Llama is?” I could have strangled him!

3. Jillian says:

Not only did the guy assume you didn’t know anything, he abandoned you when he realized he was wrong. What is it with people? Why do some people always feel the need to have the “upper hand” in a conversation? Bleh.

This happens to me a lot with Football. Guys assume I don’t even understand the sport and a lot of times I know more than they do. Jerks.

Misspelled signs ALWAYS make laugh.

4. Maribeth says:

You know what they say about people who assume too much.
    I have often found myself wanting to correct people such as you have described(I have on occassion) but mostly I get a silent satisfaction knowing that they haven’t a clue.:)

5. Starlily says:

Keli, I thought this article really fit well with your previous post of patience overcoming dealing with stupers…Good for you to so politely & gently put “Mr Golf Expert” in his place 🙂

I find myself often just keeping my mouth shut and letting people assume… Sometimes though, you just have to say something. Especially annoying are people who make (false) assumptions about you within hearing distance, but to someone else. How rude!

6. Julianne says:

I’m a total spelling snob. I refuse to patron places of business that have spelling errors in their signs. In the deep south, this doesn’t leave me with many dining or entertainment options.

7. dawn says:

Great post Keli… I am a spelling snob too although I rarely correct anyone. I think you should do a post on mis-pronouncer’s as well. I know this guy who calls a portfolio a “portpolio” and I HAVE corrected him… but have since given up… it’s a waste of time 🙁

Sarah:
    Stupers rarely seek help. They think (oops, I mean they don’t think) they don’t need any.
    Suzie:
    Although it’s often males with this ego issue, I’ve had my share of females make idiot assumptions too.
    Jillian:
    I think that’s great that you know more than most guys about football! And yes, the upper hand makes stupers feel important. They gotta take whatever they can get.
    Maribeth:
    I’m all for silent satisfaction. That’s the course I recommend, but I didn’t wish to walk anymore holes with that particular dad so I had to take action.

Starlily:
    I’m afraid I too have had experience with complete idiots who say things about you to others within hearing distance. Most irritating!
    Julianne:
    Perhaps you can go on a spelling clean-up crusade in the South. It would be a good way to get attention and then you can write a book about it!
    Dawn:
    That is a genius suggestion; I will do a post on mis-pronouncers as I’ve recently been bombarded with them.

10. Jennifer says:

This reminds me of the day our eldest daughter began her very first job, at a brand-new Winn Dixie store. They trained for weeks and on grand opening day the store was packed. I stopped by mid-morning to get a few things and got in her queue. Things were going slowly in all lines; the cashiers, down to a man, were greenhorn (but conscientious) teenagers. The very elderly gentleman in front of me (I know he had so many places he had to be that day) caught my eye and began criticising my daughter\’s level of training and intelligence. YES … I clued him in as to her identity (my straight-A offspring, thank you very much) and he got real quiet and ignored me the rest of the time. A cautionary tale as it were … you never know when you may be ragging on someone to their relative!