Stupidity Means Never Having to Say “I’m Sorry”

There are two small words that roll off quite easily from most tongues, but manage to break down, even get stuck, in the ineffectual mouth of a stuper (short, once more, for an obtrusively stupid person). Stupers are unable to utter these basic, simple words: “I’m sorry.”

Many years ago, a dreadful relative, Mildred, made a point of telling me that she was sick and tired of hearing other relations say nice things about my children. She felt her own kids equally deserving. I listened, certain that she’d come to her senses and get to the real point of what was troubling her. She was a parent herself and certainly would understand that her mutterings were unkind. But Mildred finished rambling and left. She’d spoken things out loud that most authentic humans wouldn’t even think about. Thus began the end of a very iffy relationship.

Ten years later… and still no apology.

Meager minds don’t understand the concepts of courtesy and responsibility, both of which underlie an apology. Namely because idiots can’t, don’t and won’t think. If only people would say these two small words sooner than later, or say them at all, much discontentment and distress would be avoided.

Even my ten-year old Australian Shepherd, Rio, apologizes in his own way when he’s been a naughty dog. After he pulled out and ripped to shreds the drip line for my roses, Rio made amends by laying down, begging for mercy and offering an endless stream of licks. Yes, dogs are smarter and kinder than most stupers.

If one can lower him/herself to stuper status by the inability to apologize, a stuper may also elevate him/herself to non-stuper status by speaking the sometimes elusive two words.

I once overheard my friend, Leslie, speak in a derogatory fashion about some one I cared about. Leslie had a sending voice. The type that didn’t require a microphone in order to be heard on the opposite side of a cruise ship.

I confronted Leslie. She apologized profusely for her thoughtlessness and lack of candor, and thereby restored her status to authentic human.

Stupers are not part of some Master Plan for scattering annoyances and anger across the planet just to make life tough for the apple-eating race. They’re here so that the rest of us can spot unacceptable qualities and make sure we don’t harbor them ourselves. We may not be saintly enough to love the stupid among us, but for the sake of our health, happiness and sanity, we should forgive and forget them…immediately.

I have many regrets, and I’m sure everyone does. The stupid things you do, you regret…if you have any sense….And if you don’t regret them, maybe you’re stupid. ~ Katherine Hepburn

Thinking is a precious asset.

7 Responses to “Stupidity Means Never Having to Say “I’m Sorry””

I have a relative who is obnoxious and annoying and never apologizes for the dumb stuff she does! I wish I could let it go immediately like you suggest, but it’s not that easy.
    PS I really like the Hepburn quote.

2. rebecca says:

Now I finally get it. Stupid people don’t apologize since they don’t have the brains to figure out that they did something wrong! I think they jus might be part of some master plan.

You are right. If every one would only think. I understand some times
    we say things and we regret it. All we have to do is to just
    say I am sorry it came out wrong. But stupid persons think they always say the right things and they don’t have to apologize.

4. H says:

“Thinking is a precious asset.” This is so true and most people do not realize it. I am a teacher and I always make great efforts to get my students/scholars to understand deeply what it means to be conscious, self-aware thinkers and have a critical mind.

This is my first visit to this blog and I have enjoyed what I’ve seen so far. Thanks.

Wasn’t Katherine Hepburn a riot?! I was always impressed by her strength of character, elegance, hard beauty, and the fact that she was completely her own person. She followed her own path. And she was a thinker, evidently intolerant of stupers. OMG, Keli, are you related to Katherine Hepburn??? You ARE, aren’t you!! Though I’ve never seen you, you bear a strong resemblance! ; )

Sarah:
    Letting go takes practice and positive self-talk. I know you can do it!
    rebecca:
    They sure don’t get it, do they?
    Suzie:
    Exactly! They have no clue when they same the wrong things.
    H:
    You sound like a marvelous teacher! Your students are lucky to have you.
    Thanks very much for the visit!
    Thanks! I wish I was related to Katherine Hepburn! I’d love to have heard the stories she had to tell! She seemed like the type to have zero tolerance for stupers, didn’t she?

It takes humility to recognize and verbalize when we have been wrong … and humility is one of the hallmarks of a wise person. I believe God undertakes in a special way for those who will humble themselves.