Stupidity and Self-sabotage

Self-sabotage is still another pitiable offshoot of stupidity. I don’t usually feature younger stupers (short, as most of you know, for irretrievably stupid persons), but in this case, an empty head in his early twenties engaged in an unfortunate series of idiotic acts, practically nose-diving into the Hall of Fame of Stupidity. Today, I share his latest feat.

Son #1 works part-time as technical support for an internet company near his college. Periodically, he finds jobs for his pals. He did just that for Dawain who languished in Limboland at the time. Son figured that perhaps a full-time, official-looking position in an up-and-coming company might motivate Dawain and help him to gain responsibility. This was four months ago.

Dawain started as general receptionist, then moved up to screening calls for upper level tech support which happens to be Son’s department. There are six young gentleman is this department.

At first, Dawain felt excited about his new position; then, as stupers are wont to do, he become increasingly fidgety and bored, despite continually having new responsibilities. To combat his boredom, he decided that he needed to modify his duties, and likely, having a vague, fuzzy notion of the Red Scare of the Fifties gleaned from eleventh grade history class, he took up finger pointing.

Dawain wrote an e-mail to the department manager, informing him that Dawain singlehandedly answered all calls while the rest of the lazy, good-for-nothing guys played poker, computer games, smoking and napping in between, all of which Dawain himself enjoyed.

Alas, poor Dawain! When he sent the e-mail out, he inadvertently sent it to all Six in upper level tech support, the very same ones he complained about in the e-mail. On the upside, at least he had the foresight to transmit this ill-fated missive seconds before he clocked out for the evening.

The Six were none-too-happy. Two engaged in smoking breaks, but none had the time for games or snoozing. All sorts of plans were laid out for dealing with Dawain, from tossing him into a nearby dumpster just before pick-up, to letting the air out of his car tires.

This saga of stupidity took place a mere two days ago so the ending has yet to unfold. Dawain did not show up for work the day after his e-mail guffaw in a feeble attempt to prove that the department would fall apart in his absence. However, the opposite occurred; they received a record number of calls praising the efficiency and knowledge of the technical support team. And therein lies the moral: a stupid act always backfires atop the stuper.

The Six took no action although grape juice was accidentally poured over Dawain’s keyboard by an unknown assailant. Dawain’s corn kernel size mind wrongly believed that he was paving the way for his success by faulting others. If he’d only focused on improving himself, his success, and not his stupidity, would have been assured.

When you dwell on the faults of others, you lose the chance to improve yourself.

8 Responses to “Stupidity and Self-sabotage”

This is actually kind of sad that Dawain felt he needed to backstab his friends to make himself look better. Now he loses his friends and looks bad on the job too. Stupers!

2. Rebecca says:

It never ceases to amaze me the things these stupers do for attention! They bite the hand that feeds them and they totally lack the ability to realize how good they have it. My only hope is that some of them snap out of being a stuper and return back to the human race.

3. Julianne says:

I’m sharing this post with my husband who deals with 20-somethings on a daily basis. He’s found some good ones but, for the most part, their reputation proceeds them. He’ll get a good chuckle out of Dawain.

4. Aja says:

Wow, I am glad you said what I have been thinking for awhile now. Nobody enjoys working with people like that, in fact they are like a virus that spreads their negativity through the work place.

5. Sergio says:

I think every one has been through somebody like Dawain in
    their life. You know most people like to fingerpoint and blame others for their own doings. It’s the easy way to go.

Sarah:
    It may be sad, but I don’t see change in Dawain’s future. He just can’t figure it out!
    Rebecca:
    You and I share the same hope. No matter how much stupidity I see and hear, I never cease to be amazed!
    Julianne:
    I hope your hubby is entertained!
    Aja:
    They are like a virus, how true! But there are those in the workplace who nonetheless constantly expose themselves to said virus. My wish is for those to exercise more awareness.
    Sergio:
    Very true. Stupers love the blame game.

We call it “taking someone else’s inventory,” referring to an inventory of character defects. Sometimes it feels good to do, in a small, petty sort of way. But it is WAY dysfunctional if that is the only way one sees the world, thinking one is perfect and everyone else has the problems.

At my advanced age, I have had enough hits on my ego to finally know I am not God. In fact, I am quite a ways less than perfect. I have plenty of my own character defects to count. And I do. I like to be aware of them so I can work on them.

8. Jennifer says:

It’s a long hard road for folks like Dawain. Difficult situation for your son, too, who went to bat for his friend, then was clunked over the head with said bat. I hope he knows it’s not his fault, and, the bad nut that is Dawain notwithstanding, I hope he continues believing in and promoting the potential of others!

While there’s life, there’s hope!