Stupidity at the Other End of the Telephone

My mother, typically mild-mannered and pleasant by nature, gets along with most people. This includes stupers (short, yet again, for bewilderingly stupid persons). It takes a few dump truckloads of stupidity before she gets riled up.

Her friend, Mary, was celebrating a birthday, and Mom wanted to call to extend greetings. However, Mom hesitated in placing the call. Mary’s daughter, Hilda, lived nearby and often visited Mary…and answered her telephone. As my dear, cognizant readers may have already guessed, Hilda is a stuper.

Mom called. Hilda answered. Hellos were exchanged, and then,

Hilda: How are you?

Mom: Well,…

Keep in mind, Mom had not seen or spoken to Hilda in quite some time. A few years, in fact. When Mom had last called and Hilda had answered, Hilda had asked a question of such a personal nature, Mom had vowed to hang up the telephone if Hilda ever picked up her mother’s line again. Mom didn’t hang up however, hoping the passage of time had eliminated or at least softened Hilda’s tendency toward idiocy.

Hilda: Is your daughter Paula still with her husband?

Mom: Why would you ask such a question?

Hilda: Oh, uh, you know, he’s such a nice man, and I haven’t seen them in awhile…I’ll get my mother for you.

My sister and her husband had experienced some marital difficulties; obviously, a painful, sensitive topic for all. Yet Hilda, a relative stranger, felt it within her rights to dive right in, open mouth first, just to indulge in idle gossip and satisfy her curiosity.

I told Mom she provided the perfect answer. Redirecting the verbal blow and tossing it right back where it belonged, without providing any information.

Like fire, the mind can be both a constructive and destructive force. A single thought can hurt or save another person. Therefore, mind training is essential in order to nurture positive thoughts and to avoid even remotely appearing like a stuper.

Our character is carved from our thoughts. If we think kindly, we become kind; if we think meanly, we become mean. Controlling our thoughts promotes intelligence and prevents stupidity.

Just think.

6 Responses to “Stupidity at the Other End of the Telephone”

1. jessica says:

YOu are so damn insightful. It’s hard sometimes to push away that “need to know” b/c most of us do it b/c we so need to feel better about our lives, our mistakes.

Your mom had a good plan there.

Wow. Such an insensitive question can only come from years and years of practice. I wonder what is wrong with a person like this. Living with an autistic person, I now often see other people through that lens. I believe that many people have autistic characteristics, to a lesser degree. Hilda is a good example. She is self centered, wanting to “satisfy her curiosity,” and seemingly unaware that her question is hurtful to others. The “social” chip is somehow defective. That is quite a handicap. Too bad for her, and for the people that have to put up with her!

Bravo to your Mother! She made the PERFECT reply! Ferd, I like your comment about people having autistic characteristics. I never thought about it like that but you’re absolutely right!

4. Sergio says:

Your mom’s answer was great. I know some one who is like Hilda. Any time she arrives at a family gathering nobody wants to sit by her. As soon as she sees you, she starts asking questions. She loves tragic news because she can pretend like she cares. Her brother was in a car accident so now he is diabetic. She is very unhappy, I think that is why she is nosy. Her stupidity could have resulted from her problems I guess.

5. Maribeth says:

Hey you, I haven’t visited the blogosphere in sometime. I have been trying to get back into the swing of things.

I agree with this latest post, our thoughts directly effect who we are as people. Unfortunately some people will never look inside of themselves deep enough to realize that their our areas that need to be improved. Wisdom comes with age, but not everyone will grow into it. 🙂

6. Onedia says:

Such a good post and well timed for me to read today when I am thinking badly of so many stupers around here … thanks for the reminder.